Heartsaver Instructor Course
The American Heart Association Heartsaver Instructor course is designed to prepare AHA instructors to disseminate the science, skills, and philosophy of resuscitation programs to participants enrolled in AHA courses. There is no question that instructors are the key element in the AHA training network.
The practice of medicine is considered to be both an art and a science. In a similar vein, AHA training involves both “heart” and science. A good AHA instructor is able to teach information and skills and to generate enthusiasm and enlist support of the AHA course goals and objectives, motivating participants to act in emergency situations.
AHA instructors are the best tool the AHA has to fulfill its mission- to reduce disability and death caused by heart disease and stroke. The more skilled instructors the AHA ECC Programs have, the more participants will be trained in CPR and ECC. By increasing the number of bystanders prepared and willing to activate the EMS system and provide CPR, early defibrillation, and advanced life support, the AHA will be able to significantly reduce disability and death from heart attacks, cardiac arrest, and stroke.
This course is intended for individuals competent and comfortable with Heartsaver first aid, CPR, and AED skills. Instructor Candidates must hold current American Heart Association Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED certification and can teach Heartsaver and Friends and Family curriculum upon completion of this program.
American Heart Association instructors must become established with a Training Center to teach courses.
Instructor Certification Process
1. Online Heartsaver Instructor Essentials: An access code for the Online Heartsaver Instructor Essentials course will be emailed to you upon registration. Complete this component prior to attending the instructor course.
2. Heartsaver Instructor Training: Heartsaver Instructor training is conducted by Safety First Medical Services Faculty. This is a face to face training which participants must attend at the scheduled time. Participants learn about the Mission of the American Heart Association, goals for Emergency Cardiovascular Care, affiliation with a Training Center, and the programs that they will be able to instruct as an AHA instructor. Participants will evaluate skills being performed by video to become familiar with the skills testing process.
3. Skills and Content Competency: Instructor candidates will attend a Heartsaver Skills Testing session. The instructor candidate will be tested on BLS skills competency and will complete the written exams for Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED and Heartsaver Instructor.
4. Observation: Instructor candidates observe Heartsaver class(es) taught by Safety First Medical Services instructors until they feel comfortable teaching the course independently. This step can be conducted at SFMS Abu Dhabi office.
5. Monitoring: Instructor candidates teach a course independently under the supervision of Safety First Medical Services BLS Faculty. Faculty will evaluate instructor candidate performance against a rubric of requirements from the American Heart Association. Successful monitoring will result in issuance of a Heartsaver Instructor certification from the American Heart Association.
6. Affiliation: Heartsaver Instructors may join an existing training site or establish a new training site. All instructors must be affiliated with an American Heart Association Training Center to issue certification cards for courses they instruct.
Online Heartsaver Instructor Essentials access code, Heartsaver Instructor Manual, Heartsaver Instructor Training, Skills Competency Session, a pocket mask, monitoring at our training center, and instructor certification card are included in this course.
8 hours over one day
Valid for two years
3 monitoring classes
E- Certificate & e-card
- 8 - 11
- Principles of CPR
- 11 - 12
- Controlling Bleeding and Bandaging
- Controlling Bleeding and Bandaging
- 12 - 1
- Lunch Break
- Break time
- 1 - 3:30
- Allergic Reactions
- Study of allergies
- 3:30 - 5
- Exam, Closing Remarks
- Trainees will undertake a written and practical exams